Thursday 22 June 2017

My Very First Wedding!


 No it was not me getting married! Just thought I would throw that out there first. It was a wedding of a friend from work, and I was so excited and grateful that she invited me to share such a special day. And as you can  tell from the title I had never been to a wedding before. Therefore, naturally I was a little bit nervous. What is best to wear? What do I do with the gift? How does everything work? I had no idea.

So first was the battle of a dress to wear. I literally looked in all shops in the city with my sister and came up with very little. She became obsessed with this dress from LadyB Loves. And I really did like it, but part of me screamed that it wasn't quite right for the wedding. But my only other option was a dress I had previously gotten offline, which I thought was too dark for the occasion (however someone at the wedding wore black anyway so I felt better) but after asking my much trusted friends we decided on my Rotita dress.

Next issue: shoes.

Now if you know me well enough, you know my shoe of choice is a Dr Martin. But they aren't really suited for a wedding, or sadly go with my dress of choice. Then I'd go converse, which again bit too casual. And I thought the same about my creepers. After searching the city I could find any heal or sandal that went with the dress or screamed "You'd look great". So I settled with a pair of shiny black pumps.  Then when I got to the wedding I saw a girl wearing trainers and was instantly annoyed.

So the day of the wedding arrived and I freshly dyed and cut my hair, I put on a little make-up and made my way to the venue. Instantly realising I needed to find someone I knew quickly or I'd start panicking. Luckily as I walked in my other work colleagues were then walking towards me and we all went to take our seats. The ceremony was a lot smaller than I visioned, but I guess all weddings are different. And it was adorable. We all stood as Gemma walked down the aisle (in tears bless her) looking absolutely stunning, and they gave their vows (a little bit muddled but that's exactly her) and we ventured into the marquee and got a drink, and then went into the garden area because it was far too hot. There was a particular anti-social area that my work group (and partners) claimed as our own. And we just chatted and laughed. Then some photos were taken and we had food. Which was better than I thought but I'd still prefer a spoons meal or something. And then there were speeches which were funny, and more general chatter, and a little bit of dancing.

I had such a great time and am honoured to have been a guest. It was just weird because everyone in my group is either married, engaged or committed enough to consider it and it just makes you think about when it will happen for you.  Which I think made Matt feel pretty awkward. Any who... I had such a wonderful time and cannot wait for the next wedding I get to celebrate. They're such happy times!

See you when I see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment